Since writing Breaking The Code of History, I have continued to seek enhanced concepts that explain human interactions and to better predict and understand our collective behaviours. This has lead me to develop my Theory of Anti Entropy in Human Systems.
Firstly, we have to understand exactly what entropy is.
1. Defined as the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity.
2. Entropy has often been loosely associated with the amount of order or disorder in a thermodynamic system.
3. Increasing Entropy is the general trend of the universe towards death and disorder.
Next, we have to define the parameters of human existence.
Human existence and extinction:
1. There are three points of certainty. The first is our birth, the second death and the third is our demise will be entropy.
2. It is thus for every living creature that time and thus entropy kills our DNA and eradicates it from the universe.
Entropy is therefore the one true enemy of life encapsulated within our DNA. Man has known this intrinsically for millennia and has sought to roll back the inevitable in his search for everlasting life. There are three main ways that man has sought immortality; aspiration, science and social structures.
The Aspiration of The Afterlife
The domain's of religious structures within societies:
1. The quest for the elixir of life, a fable woven into all societies. The Arthurian legend and the holy grail are two of many.
2. Physical resurrection of the human form in its rejuvenated state present in religions such as Christianity and ideals such as heroic divinity. Today it is sought through cryogenics and scientific progression.
3. Spiritual resurrection and reincarnation
These three aspirations have been able to satisfy an inner need that science could not provide in the past. In addition, they have defined religions whose powerful themes have enhanced the human organisational process to shape and enhance the effectiveness of empires and their corresponding civilizations.
The Science of Longevity
The study of alchemy has been replaced with modern science which is beginning to understand just how entropy kills our cells with time. Within our bodies, as a chromosome replicates their ends known as telomeres which protect them from fraying shorten with each replication until there is nothing left. The cell is then unable to divide effectively, a condition which is called senescence. These cells accumulate as a dead weight in the body and cause inflammation and then cancer and degenerative diseases leading to death. The implication is that each cell can only divide a fixed number of times to counter the effects of entropy, limiting our life spans.
However, strangely not all our body's cells are susceptible to this process, i.e. germ cells in the testes, which keep working until death because they are protected by an enzyme called telomerase. This protects the telomeres from shortening. Recent scientific results have managed to reactivate senescent cells and lengthen their telomeres, providing hope that one day we might be able to hold back the forces of cellular entropy to live longer. In that regard, modern science is our DNA's great hope for extending our lifespans. The anti-entropy effects of living longer and each person carrying more knowledge would increase a society's cumulative anti-entropy potential by a quantum jump allowing humans to perhaps begin to transcend the unconscious cycles that have dominated our history. But, might it also decrease our competitive drivers? Only time will tell.
Longevity Through Human Social Structures
Humans to date have failed to transcend individual mortality but have instead relied on a different genetic strategy to beat entropy by building large human social organisations that survive many generations. Whilst the individual human may be frail, we humans like herd organisms have come to rely on our numbers for our immortality. Thus came the importance of our social structures that we have unconsciously shaped to use to our advantage to grow and expand our anti-entropy skills. Individually within society, there are two ways:
1. Perpetuation through legacy of greats deeds and doings in one's life that gives an individual’s purpose and their memory a future life in future generations who hopefully might benefit from such great experience within the context of the empire cycle of society that they inhabited.
2. Through the perpetuation of our genes through our children and their future survival through the success and continuance of our human social structures to provide future stability for our genes to survive.
The Five Phase Life cycle that was one of the core tenants in Breaking The Code of History explains how humans systems cycle through anti-entropy as they build and then fall to the effects of entropy as they break down. But, there is much more to understanding human organisational processes and its anti-entropy dynamics.
Human Collective Anti Entropy
- Principal 1: The Hidden Human Energy of Anti-Entropy. Human history always focuses on the destructive disasters, but between those destructive gaps is hidden a huge amount of energy of self-organisation and human anti-entropy, starting with the grandmother who sweeps the floor to the great empire builders. So it is important to always remember that the forces of human anti-entropy are always at work and are only blocked by the periodic entropy of individuals and systems at certain phases in history. Thus it is right to be collectively optimistic and to look on the positive side of the future of humanity.
- Principal 2: Empire cycles are entropy cycles as they grow they build anti-entropy. Thus a hegemonic challenge is a race to create the maximum entropy to gain the hegemonic slot. The levels of anti-entropy in an empire or indeed any human system is a function of the average entropy level of each citizen (education-health-cultural values ) the size of a population, the quality of its leadership, and the level of the systems coherence ie where it is on the rise and fall curve. Growing populations create excess anti-entropy whilst contracting populations are subject to entropy. Polarisation, as defined in Breaking The Code of History, actually defines who we compete and fight against. It prioritises loyalty to our family genes, our society genes, and our race genes.
- Principal 3: Bigger Really is Better! To perpetuate survival in nature, insects use huge numbers as a survival tool and build giant colonies. This then requires effective organisational processes to maximise the effect of the colony’s anti-entropy to create order. Humans have in their vast population growth become more like insect colonies than their relatively less numerous ancestors. The bigger the population the more energy potential in the system that can be harnessed for anti-entropy. This is the basis of the power of China's hegemonic challenge today.
- Principal 4: The Average anti Entropy of a Population A systems collective potential anti-entropy is a product of the population size and the average level of the individual’s level of anti-entropy energy. Thus whilst a self-actualized democracy enhances the average individual level of anti-entropy in its population. A larger hierarchical society whilst having a lower average level of individual anti-entropy, will have a higher net level of Anti Entropy. Hence the perpetual human struggles between democratic systems with their higher potential ant-entropy per capita and larger hierarchical structures like the USSR and China. The ideal human society has a high average individual level of anti-entropy and a large population. Maximisation of Human Individual Anti Entropy is described below.
- Principal 5: Evolution and Entropy Tsunamis. Evolution demands that when a system goes into entropy it is removed just like the senescence cells in the body. Thus as Empires decline they lose their energy and decay leaving a vacuum into which the next empire moves to then reach greater levels of anti-entropy. Thus be prepared for the waves (and even Tsunamis) of entropy that engulf systems in decline with compounding consequences. The role of warfare is the cumulation of Darwinistic competition and is essentially a clash of anti-entropy and the side with the greatest levels wins. This explains why wars keep occurring despite broad protestation that they are inhuman and uncivilized. Natural events like pandemics, earthquakes and tidal waves are all examples of Entropy Tsunamis.
- Principal 6: Human collective accumulated anti-entropy. Each sequential empire takes anti-entropy of the net human system to a new high at the empire's peak and then declines to be replaced by the next empire which then reaches new heights. Thus net human anti-entropy oscillates around a positive increasing gradient which is accelerating with technology and population growth.
- Principal 7: Anti Entropy Friction for both an empire and indeed an individual. The greater the magnitude of the positive change that the system seeks to initiate the greater the friction they will encounter in the form of more bumps on the way to push aside the forces of entropy. Indeed, the faster one seeks to execute change the greater the resistance. Hence the importance of harnessing expanding Anti-Entropy with highly capable Creative Leadership with strategic and consciousness leaders who can see more obstacles further ahead and how to overcome them.
- Principal 8: The Archetypes of Anti-Entropy are already woven into our fables and social constructs and are represented by the force of light and dark energy. As represented in Star Wars, with the forces of light and dark, or the images of WW1 and 2 construction and destruction, or elemental Christian good and evil. All are in fact entwined in a constantly shifting embrace of light and dark, with neither being able to exist without the other. However, what is essential for the survival of the human gene pool to evade the consequence of entropy, is that the process of hegemonic challenge increases net human anti-entropy. This construct of Anti-entropy provides a more mercurial perspective to the traditional black and white images. Thus a self-actualized democratic system can still go into negative entropy and collapse but be part of a longer-term expanding anti-entropy process for humanity. Thus in terms of humanity's genes instead of good and bad the question is which social system creates the most anti-entropy over the long term?
Human Individual Anti Entropy
- Principal 9: Humans are Collective Whilst individuality sits on spectrum, everyone is part of a bigger collective biological system.As such we process information about events around us collectively with each person acting a cell in a bigger organism. Similarly we thus share collective emotions that are at times superimposed upon our own individual feelings. The mechanisms of communication within the collective are complex, and stretch from visual, audio and hormonal, but in all probability we are also linked by quantum entanglement in a subtle web of complex interconnectivity.
- Principal 10: Love = Anti-Entropy In humans parental love in the form that an individual child needs in early stage development, is critical for the growth of healthy productive offspring. In that regard, a society whose values facilitate this process on a broad scale is more likely to be successful long term. The Buddhists message of love dating back to 500 BC is therefore more powerful than we perhaps ever recognised. However the most critical phase of human growth of the brain that shapes ones whole life with respect to health and happiness, is the first five years. Thus how we are parented and receive love is critical.Consequently we could conjecture that a society that places increased awareness and support for parenting, especially the in the early phase will in future generations manifest a more capable and productive society. The work of the Duchess of Cambridge in this field is to be applauded, but is also coincident with a forward looking mindset of post Brexit Britain.From another perspective China’s, the one-child policy may have increased the levels of love and care parents transmitted to their offspring, creating unintentionally positive anti-entropy effects.
- Principal 11: As a Consequence of Principal 10, Humans manifest different levels of entropy in four core elements much like an ant colony.
- 20% Are The Creative leadership and provide energetic leadership to the system. This group optimises anti-entropy by harnessing chaos and fluid situations-enhancing collective beliefs and coherence optimising collective anti-entropy.
- 80% Are The Body who are broadly neutral, but who are activated by the energy of those at the extremes to varying degrees depending on the phase of the cycle.
- 18% Are The Un-affirmed (lacking sufficient essential parental love they are unconsciously self-destructive and by extension act with entropy on the system)
- 2% Are The Un-affirmed Who are Malevolent who consciously act with entropy. As the universal’s trend is for entropy, it takes far fewer acting from this mindset to effect a destructive outcome. If a system is cleansed of the Un-Affirmed, then it will well-organise into a powerful mechanism of anti-entropy.
- Principal 12: The variability of human organisational structures are not only defined by geography, history and values but also the mix of elements as defined by Principal 10 that create a spectrum of national characteristics that range from constructive to at times self destructive Some nations like Argentina, consistently fail to elect good leadership in a collective act of self-destruction. Other nations like Britain have a more constructive mix. Special forces in their original forms embody members from the creative leadership who have been melded into a super effective fighting force. Companies that are startups are very similar in composition to special forces. Whilst companies that are mature and tipping into decline can embody the un-affirmed and malevolent accelerating their demise. These observations are the basis of optimising a nation or company's growth and sustainability and are contained in my Five Phase Business Cycle (available on request).
- Principal 13: The Right Brained , Left Brained balance in a human systems. Whilst modern neuroscience has shown that brain function is spread across the whole brain, The old notion of Right and left brained thinking still has validity interns of behavioural traits of individuals. Using this construct to explained observed behaviours a female brain is cross materialised using both hemispheres. Whilst the Male brain seems to be more polarised, favouring one side or another in terms of predominate behavioural traits. I have long maintained that the Right Brain gene, is in fact the leadership gene within human society. Thus anti-entropy optimisation in human systems is achieved at stages where Right brain creative and lateral leadership is not only at the top of the structure but cascades down through to the lower echelons,working symbiotically with the more iterative thought process of the left brained body of the system. In contrast when left brained leadership rises to power, it is intolerant of right brained subordinates, perhaps because control rather than empowerment is the main currency of leadership, but also because right brained thinking is in essence threatening to a centralised hierarchical structure.
Looking ahead to the Future
Whilst the old mechanism of empires anti-entropy has served humanity well to date, with the destructiveness of modern warfare and high population density that is increasingly resource dependant, we are at the point where old habits could destroy the whole human DNA gene pool in a massive act of mean reversion. Unless we can find new ways to optimise human anti-entropy:
- Possibility 1 Removing inter-human competition as the engine for optimising anti-entropy with an external objective such as colonizing our solar system.
- Possibility 2 Substitute our current process of destructive competition through a more constructive form of competition that is contained within a shared social construct from becoming violent. BREXIT is the prime example of a new way to manage age-old social pressures that would once have needed a bloody civil war but today have been contained by the democratic process.
- Possibility 3 AI and automation lessen the proportion of left brained genes in future generations increasing proportion of right brained genes and thus increasing creativity and anti entropy.
- Possibility 4 To increase human anti-entropy potential by increasing the collective education, awareness, and consciousness of humanity, remembering that consciousness directly interacts and affects the physical universe increasing anti-entropy levels.
Applying The Theory of Anti Entropy in Human Systems
The implications of this theory to understand human systems are extremely far-reaching. By applying these principals it is possible to enhance an organisation from a nation to a company to a sports team. If you are interested please see my range of advisory services.